Friday, January 17, 2014

Origami Collar

 I've been wanting to try this origami collar ever since Suz of sewpony posted the tutorial last month. I've been working on it and the dress these past couple of days and now it's done!
 Project details:
Pattern: Tinny Dress, size 4Y, with mods: sleeveless, fully lined bodice, rolled hem
Tutorial: Origami collar
Fabrics:
bodice: green/blue/white vintage floral (I bought this fabric almost 2 years ago at a vintage shop. It was 1 2/3 yards, 36 inches wide for $8.00)
bodice lining: white cotton voile
circle skirt: modern large blue polka dot, "England Swings" by Rebekan Merkle for Timeless Treasures Fabrics
origami collar: dark blue chambray
bias tape on waist seam: dark blue chambray
Notions: invisible zipper
 Everything came from my stash except the invisible zipper.

Well, this was an experiment for me, mixing patterned fabrics, mixing vintage and modern fabrics, and I rarely sew with green, but overall I'm glad I took the risk.
I'm really pleased with the look of this origami collar, it's such an interesting detail. Maybe you'd like to try adding an origami collar to one of your future girl dresses.